I Can Help With the Juvenile Dependency Process

What is a dependent child? It is a juvenile that does not have a parent or guardian that is willing or able to exercise proper and effective parental care and control. A dependent child can be a destitute child, as that child does not have life’s necessities, such as adequate flood, clothing, housing or medical services. The dependent child could also be a child whose home is not fit, because the child is abused, neglected, or cruelly treated by a parent, guardian or any other person who has the care or custody of that child.

However, sometimes the parent of a dependent child is more than a suitable caregiver. For reasons outside of the control of the parent, though, the child may become legally dependent. For instance, a special needs child or a child who is out of control or is dangerous to others may become a ward of the State, even though the parent is appropriate.

DCS, or the Department of Child Safety, usually takes on a case only after a complaint has been reported. The government investigates the complaint and, if believed to be valid, will pursue these cases vigorously..

While the State often files for juvenile dependency on its own, other people can do so as well. For example, you may contact DCS about a child that you know s not in a good situation. Perhaps the child is harming himself or maybe the parent is not caring for the child properly. Whatever the reason, you can start the process.

Whatever the case, DCS may prove voluntary services without the involvement of the court. On the other extreme, the juvenile court system becomes involved and DCS could allow the child to stay in the family home or could remove the child from his or her home. Placement is determined by a variety of factors, including family relationships and Native American heritage..

Even after DCS tries to restore the family, if the State decides that the parents are not a suitable, due to a belief that the parents are unable to parent or protect the child, the State can petition the court for a guardianship and then turn over custody of the child to someone else. The State can also try and terminate the parental rights so that the child can ultimately be adopted. And then, there are circumstances that the child is placed in a group home, foster home or treatment facility until the child turns eighteen years of age.

It is not always easy to navigate the juvenile court system, and dealing with the Department of Child Safety is often stressful. Robert Dodell has worked with many children and parents over the years to help them through this process. He has the experience necessary to assist you as you fight for your rights and that of your child. If you need someone to stand by you throughout this process, get in touch with Robert A. Dodell. Reach out and call Robert A. Dodell, Attorney at Law, at 480-860-4321 for more information or contact by email. The first consultation is provided at no cost to you!